How to be happy.
So many people think that because you’re optimistic, you’re not realistic, but I think that’s entirely untrue. I think that if you’re aware of all the shitty stuff going on in the world, but still manage to have fun, then you’re leagues ahead of most people.
How do you let go and just smile?
- Learn jokes appropriate for 5th graders. They’ll make you and your friends laugh, too. Feel free to snort.
- Embrace your inner nerd.
- Watch a show from your childhood and be unashamed about laughing hysterically.
- Be the loudest people in the bar or restaurant.
- Skip down the street while everyone else is walking.
- Instead of criticizing yourself in the mirror, do a ridiculous dance in your underwear with a hairbrush-microphone.
- Play a sport you suck at with non-competitive people.
- Make your own cake.
- Eat something that didn’t come out of a package.
- Make stupid faces.
- Jump out and scare someone.
- Try on something crazy when you go out.
- Listen to your favorite pop artist from the 90’s. Be unashamed about singing loud enough to wake the neighbors.
- Embrace the fact that you can’t dance, then do it anyway, whether walking from one room to another or out in public.
- Get outside.
- Go to six flags. Proceed to run around like a child. Be those guys everyone is staring at but secretly wants to be.
- Enjoy your fandom. Boys talk to strangers about sports, why can’t we jump up and down in public with other HP fans?
- Get drunk and see a terrible horror movie at its midnight release.
- Paint your nails an absurd color.
- Wear what you want - a sideways pony, purple hair, an old Belle & Sebastian t-shirt, jeans from high school with the hole in the butt, Converse so beat up the sides are ripping.
- Get the inappropriate piercing before it’s too late to have metal in your face.
- Remember that it’s never too late to do anything.
- Do something fun with your parents. They’re people too, not just authority figures.
- Stop worrying that people are looking at you. They probably are, but who cares? Do you know them enough to care what they think? No. Will you ever see them again? Probably not. So who gives a shit?