How to sleep at night
When I get asked certain questions a lot, I like to compile them into one big post - a MEGA post, if you will. Sleep anxiety and insomnia are common questions and something I struggle with very seriously and have for years, so here we go.
- Make your room a sleep zone: the bed is for sleep and sex only. If you have trouble sleeping, don’t ever do your homework in your room. Don’t study on your bed. Try not to leave assignments all over your room - just their presence can lead to anxiety about them.
- Turn off your electronics. Your phone, laptop, and even TV should be shut off half and hour before bedtime because the light slows down melatonin production which aids sleep.
- Meditate. It doesn’t have to be a serious, Eat Pray Love session, but clear your mind. Focus on your body slowly sinking into the bed and let everything else fall away.
- Eye masks ala Matilda’s mother. They keep out light that seeps in around your curtains or shades.
- Strip your bed and remake it. Uncomfortable, tangled sheets prevent you from getting comfy and drifting off to sleep land.